Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Building.

So the second year f my time at York College began a week ago. It's technically the second half of my sophomore year, so that's pretty cool, but that also means I'll be done in 3 1/2 like my sister, so yay for saving money! I came in hoping to be a full fledged junior at the start of this year, but due to some events this summer, I wasn't able to complete an online class that I was taking, so I'm spending another semester here in good, ol' Thomas Hall. Dorm life, for life. It's not so bad, I just miss having a kitchen, really. My best friend since I can remember lives directly next door to me & so happens to be my wonderful RA. So that's pretty chill. The problem with this dorm though, I'm on first floor, & the girls who I'm closest with all live down in the basement, yeah, one floor, not that big of a difference, but oh it is!

I've felt pretty alone this semester. But because of it, I've had a lot of reflection time. I've been able to think about the decisions I've made in my life & been able to look at where my walk with God is. & frankly, I could use some help. In our Campus Ministries group, I m a part f the outreach & encouragement area, but it's hard for me to fill others up & build them up when I'm not being built up, or building up myself.

So this has led me to setting a challenge for myself this year. Goals that I can take baby steps to achieve.

My first goal: Strengthen my relationship with the Lord. Learn not only to lean on Him in my times of struggle & need & when I feel most alone, & to trust that He has a plan for me & is using me everyday to help someone else.

Goal number two: Become a better friend.

Finally, goal three: Work to use the people God has placed in my life as positive influences, & to rid of all the negative junk I deal with everyday.

Pretty simple, right? Well, probably not. Any relationship takes work & discipline. You have to be willing to give a part of yourself to the other person involved. Relationships take trust & understanding. There is no way anyone will ever be perfect, & as humans, we have to respect that of each other. We all will mess up. Make each other angry. Disappoint one another. But you know what? That's a part of the life cycle. That's a part growing up & maturing.

I have a lot to learn & a lot to fix. Just like when trying to construct a building, you start with a layout and then move to the foundation. I need to set a firm foundation based on Jesus & His promises to us. I read a quote the other day that said, "I may not be perfect, but I worship a Savior who is." God's grace & love can cover any flaw. & no matter what, you are always going to be loved & His arms will always be opened wide for you to run into.

Trust in Him, & He will provide.

Peace & love.
B.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I felt the same way my sophomore year of college and coming into my junior year. I don't know what to do about my time alone because I feel like ever since I started dating this guy I'm no longer allowed to hang out with the guys. I should really work on that though, building my relationship with God back up. I would be lying if I said I didn't follow through on my initial idea that I would never lose the relationship I had with God. I didn't lose if fully but I don't think I'm nearly as close as I would like to be. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete